Lost Coast Camp is committed to being a safe place for all regardless of age, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The recent murders of Rayshard Brooks, George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and far too many others have rallied our nation for change around the inequities and violence Black people have experienced for centuries. LCC stands in solidarity and support of the Black Community and all People of Color in the fight against systemic racism, police brutality, and other injustices.
Racism is prevalent in Humboldt County and this moment is our call to action. We must take time to educate ourselves and the people around us whenever possible.
The actions we intend to take include:
1) Training our staff to recognize how racial injustice, intolerance, and violence affect our community and nation.
2) Training staff to appropriately respond to and have conversations about race with children of all ages.
3) Continue striving to create job opportunities and safe spaces for Black and Indigenous Campers and Staff of Color as well as any member of LCC who identifies as part of the LGBTQIA Community.
4) Offer a shared Google Doc with resources for organizations to donate to, information on how to talk to youth about racism, and book lists for both you and your children.
5) Addressing equal access and opportunity for all campers by highlighting inequities, increasing awareness, and organizing for change.
6) In our 2021 camp season, we can commit to the inclusion of stories centered around Black characters and celebrating Black history followed by discussions and reflection.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or would like more information. Let’s keep having these conversations. Black Lives Matter.
A Call to Action
Lost Coast Camp has also compiled a resource document full lists of local resources; booklists and videos for both parents and children on race/racism and gender; BIPOC owned businesses in Humboldt County; and a list with places to donate, both locally and nationally. This will be a continuing document full of resources that we expect to grow over time. If you have any additions that you'd like to make to this document, please email us at LostCoastCamp@Gmail.com
Humboldt County Resources: